As an update, I have lived with this one long enough to name (Night Wings) it and know that it's finished. You can see it better here.The impact that the colors and textures make in person overshadow it's design shortcomings, as far as I'm concerned. Other pieces using similar materials and techniques are in progress.
A few months back, I dyed an old damask tablecloth and was at loss for what to do with it so I used my old "cranky bag-o-sh*t" routine of cutting the stubborn cloth up into 2" chunks. Painted a few of them with some iridescent fabric paint and then they lay in a bowl gathering cat hair for a few more weeks. With Dennis advancing on us from the south with the potential of no power on the weekend, I was anxious to have something to hand quilt so I started sewing the little bits together with the Frankenstein stitch on my Janome. We never lost power and one seam lead to another and then more machine stitching and here is this thing that feels like it's made of moth wings. Moth's eyes floating. Another UFO to haunt me.