"Good Times. Noodle Salad"

The Norcross Fall Festival – October 2,3 2004

First of all, Thanks to my son Jake for helping me set up and my husband Jimmy for helping me take everything down, I couldn't have done it without you. Also big thanks to Janice Rice and Terry Amar for showing up and being great friends!

It’s the day after the day after the day AFTER and I still haven’t pulled myself together. Jimmy & I got home around 7 pm Sunday night and all my stuff from the festival and some his stuff from the Chili Cook-off is heaped in various piles around the house.
A highlight? Sitting quietly, working on a piece, listening to the Braves & Cubs on my wind-up radio and talking with the many people who stopped by just to tell me how beautiful my work was although I think most of them didn't have clue about quilts as art. The only lowlight - just one bonehead - Late Saturday afternoon, a well-dressed man was examining one of my larger pieces that I had put a high price tag on as I really didn't want to part with it- 600$. He sniffed about the price and asked loudly "Will you take 300$ for this? I couldn't help myself.. I glared at him and said "What do you think this is, downtown Baghdad?". He scuttled off and I couldn't stop giggling all afternoon.

Even though I hardly sold a thing, just some jewelry, I had a great time and it was a terrific experience. I am worried that any future venues like this one that I decide to get involved with are going to have a hard time living up to the great job Frances Shube did organizing this one. Only the weather was left to chance and the weather gods seemed happy to co-operate – it was 80ish and lightly cloudy with the odd breeze now and then. I was lucky to be assigned a spot right on the main promenade underneath a tree. There was a free, air conditioned shuttle bus to take us to and from the parking areas. An old fashioned parade around the park square kicked off the festivities on Saturday morning complete with a great pseudo-Elvis snarling from the back of a pickup truck, marching bands AND marching orchestras from local schools, antique cars and of course, a snazzy tractor. There were music and dance performances in the band shell both days of the festival. A large variety of food vendors ringed the park . One of the historic homes hosted a “hospitality Porch” for the Artists complete with a cell phone number to call if you needed a volunteer to booth-sit while you took a break. There were plenty of volunteers to assist with set-up and take down which was well managed with very little left to chance.

As far as poor sales were concerned, I couldn't take it personally as it seemed most artists had the same complaint. I overheard several experienced exhibitors declaring that sales were always poor just prior to a national election. I also know that this festival had a reputation as a third rate flea market to overcome. A lot of folks were walking around with wide eyes, open mouths and only a twenty to spend. They just weren't prepared for the quality of the goods that were being offered.
Here's my sweet spot under an oak tree right on the main promenade:

On the upside, I did get a commission for a Chuppah/Quilt (thank you Frances!) and an invitation to participate in another local festival on October 23 - (thank you Mr. Morsberger). I am still thinking about that one.

No comments: